Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A last taste of Summer: Lavender Syrup


Not many days ago, following this recipe almost to a t, I made my first Lavender Syrup...three little bottles of it! One I gave as a present and two are treasured in our fridge, I have been using it on ice-cream but from now on I would say it will be used on warm chocolate and pancakes (the days are getting chilli in this part of the world).

The very easy instructions are:
-Get yourself some pesticide-free lavender (I picked it from the garden, washed it carefully and divided the little flowers from the stem).
-Pour the same volume of water and sugar in a pot/saucepan and bring to the boil, let simmer until the liquid becomes a bit dense, syrupy like (15 minutes circa, for me).
-Infuse the lavender flowers (I used again the same volume, most recipes call for less then half what you use sugar/water-wise) in the liquid, simmer for  a few minutes more (your home will smell divine after this), take off the heat, let cool for as long as you prefer, depending on how strong you want your syrup to be (mine was in the fridge infusing all night, hence the strong colour).
-Strain as carefully as you can (you can use a fine strainer or a cloth) and ENJOY!

It keeps in the fridge up to 3 months, apparently (mine won't get that far, I don't think, it came out not too strong but lavendery enough and with a divine smell to it).


Imma link this yummy recipe to these lovely parties:
Anti-Procastination Tuesday at New Nostalgia
Tuesday's Treasures at MUSOS
Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings
In and Out of the Kitchen at Feeding Big
Be Inspired at Elizabeth & Co.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great!
    And very easy -which is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and yes, for me too, easy and adaptable is a plus ina recipe :)

      Delete