Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Glutton Monkey Banana Bread

I LOVE Banana Bread, and you?
Until I moved to Ireland I never heard of such a thing and, seeing how I only really like bananas when they are still a bit green or so, it was a great discovery! Bananas are usually cheap enough and last a fairly long time, and for this recipe, the softer the better. Yummy and savvy, so!
I tried a few types but I have to say I always come back to the peanut butter one, to which I make my little variations every time.
Since I really love it and it always getss munched away in very few days I thought I'd take a couple of pictures and share the how-to with you :)

Here is the one I made last week, and if you go on reading the ingredients and procedure you will see why I called it The Glutton Monkey Banana Bread:





Ingredients:
* 2 cups all purpose or wholemeal flour (I used the latter this time, that's why is speckled brown inside)
* 1/2 cup brown sugar + 1 tbsp for the topping
* 1 tsp baking soda/baking powder (a bit stronger as a raising agent)
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I make these with good dark chocolate, cheaper than buying them already made)
* 1/2 monkey nuts, peeled and crushed into big chunks (or unsalted peanuts, crushed into big chunks)
* 3 ripe bananas, mashed (I had only two and used a bit of milk instead, or add extra yogurt)
* 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1/3 cup plain yogurt/sour cream
* 1/2 cup peanut butter, for the mixture +  1/4 cup for the topping

Procedure:
 Preheat oven to 180 C degrees (350 F degrees).
 Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and peanuts in a large bowl.
 In a separate bowl combine the bananas, 1/2 cup peanut butter, butter, eggs and yogurt.
 Create a well in the dry ingeredients and pour the wet into it. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just incorporated. The batter should be not runny but very moist.
 Pour the batter into a well greased bread tin (standard loaf size, so to say). Dollop the remaining peanut butter over the batter and swirl it into it using a knife, dust it all with some brown sugar.
 Bake for 30/35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick/skewer comes out fairly clean.
 Let cool a bit before taking it out of the tin and serving.

On a side note:
I love this bread warm and I would do my best to "carve it out" of its tin before it goes completely cold lol
It will stay moist for a long time, anyway, which it's part of it's yummyness. 

If you try this please do let me know! :)


Linking this nioms to the fun:
Tempt My Tummy @ Blessed With Grace
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind The Curtain
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna
Totally Tasty Tusdays @ Mandy's Recipe Box
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts 

6 comments:

  1. Your bread looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing and linking to Tempt My Tummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves banana bread. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, Lisa and Brandi, for appreciating! :) Let me know if you try it!

    Alba, se lo provi fammi sapere, e' davvero piuttosto goloso :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm looks so good, i'm gonna try this receipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao Sylvie, let me know if you try it, it does taste good :)

    ReplyDelete