Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Delicious Fifities, The Woman in Red

Hello gurls! (and boys?)
Some time ago I posted about one of my fashion crushes, La Belle Epoque; today I would like to talk about another one of my favourite periods: The Fifities!
I find that part of fashion history so lovely, feminine, flattering and fun, would you agree?

I went on an eye-candy hunt for ye, and for my own pleasure as well, I admit...
I found so much I like that I've decided to make this a serie of posts, actually!
I will start with a very 50's colour, red!

Jean Patchett in 1954 summer dress fashion.








Red Givenchy 1956


Rose Valois, 1952






Vogue US 1951

Swansdown 1951


 

Debbie Reynolds


(click on the pictures to be brought to the original source)

My granmother was a seamstress, working both for herself and some important Italian fashion laboratories ("case di moda"), and always used to tell me how people, although way poorer, were much more elegant and classy, back in the day.
I have seen pictures of her in the younger days, and although she had just two "changes" of clothes in her wardrobe she looked lovely all the time...I think it came down to personal dignity somehow.

Once more, I'd love to have a time machine, and you?


Linking this beauties to this lovely parties:
Motivated Monday @ Becolorful
Tickle Me Tuesdays @ Yes, Teacher!
YOU Inspire @ Polkadot Pretties
The Inspiration Board @ Homework 
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative

11 comments:

  1. Lovely memories indeed! I'd like to have a time machine to learn how to survive with just two dress changes :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't having a time machine at all. First stop: 1920s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elettra, in a way, I would love to do that too...especially to see her again :,/

    Juna, for me it would be probably Florence in medieval times :)

    Nice, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous finds! I think we should bring the 50's back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these photos! My grandma was a real "it" girl back in her day, so fashionable when her children were younger. My uncle has photos of himself and the siblings looking so dapper as little children. She died in 2006 at the age of 97.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!!
    This week’s Linky Party is up!!!! http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_28.html
    I hope you will stop by an link up another lovely project..
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swoon. I think I should have been born earlier. :D Love this era too. Are you a Mad Man fan? :D Thanks for sharing this week on Becolorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. meravigliose queste immagini!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, I do agree!

    Christine, I think I understand what you mean...and I still miss my granny.

    Polkadot-Pretties, I will be back checking your event now that I am back to blogging.

    Grazie, Alba!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becolorful, I understand how u feel! Never watched MadMen but it's on the to watch list :) Will visit your parties again now that I am back :)

    ReplyDelete